Tuesday, October 31, 2006


Banging On A Theme

Okay, so its time to return to Orwell. Sorry but today got me thinking about the whole perversion of language because the BIG story of the day was the report by Sir Nicholas Stern.

WHO? The treasury economist.

Oh so its some boring essay on taxes then?
NO

So what the hell IS it about then?
Climate Change

Oh. THAT.

Yes that and its those two words that got me thinking. Climate Change! FRIGGING CLIMATE CHANGE! I thought we were serious about the environment and the DAMAGE yes DAMAGE we are doing to it. I thought the more extreme political right had been defeated and debunked as suicidal crackpots.

But no.

Why?

Because they won the language war. Because climate change can be explained away. After all climate changes throughout history. There have been cycles of warmer and colder periods throughout Earth history, so the naysayers of climate change can argue whose to say this is not an exceptional warm period in the cycle?

Whereas there is growing evidence of the environmental DAMAGE or VANDALISM we are and have inflicted on our planet. Climate change will not just change our weather and affect us directly. The changes will affect us indirectly by demolishing ecosystems. Food chains may be disrupted as animals unable to cope with the vast pace of damage become extinct. Water sources, already becoming scarce may dwindle, causing possible water wars. Thus the climate will not be the only aspect vandalised but the Earth's surface itself will become distorted. What happened in the former Soviet Union with the Aral sea may become more prevalent even without human interference via dams. (The Aral sea is an example of human damage to the environment. It has shrunk due to rivers being diverted for irrigation. The sea is heavily polluted due to weapons testing, industrial projects and fertilizer runoff).

Combat climate change? Well its a bit wishy washy after all it might change for the better tomorrow.

Combat global environmental vandalism? My god who are these vandals?

On a slightly less serious note but no less misleading are companies, usually car dealerships, who locate in an area but call themselves something different.

E.g. Heathrow Volkswagon. Address: Ashford Middlesex. Last time I checked riots were not happening all the time, or indeed at all. There were no terror scares there either......

HR Owen Heathrow BMW sounds all very posh (good egg and all that) only its in ......West Drayton. Now I have not been to West Drayton but I'm sure its a lovely idyllic place but I guess it does not have the same kudos.

Even schools are getting in on the act!

How about Sir William Perkins (Surrey) going to great lengths to conceal the fact they are located in Chertsey! I have been to Chertsey, lived in Chertsey and its not THAT bad!

Stop lying people!

Else I shall refuse to call a spade a spade. Instead I shall demand it is renamed as a turf digging implement!

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Followers

    About Me

    My photo
    United Kingdom
    Under rigorous examination I suppose I am a considerate, intelligent, humorous type of person